Friday, October 18, 2013

Quotes & Cookies: The First Time


"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right
the first time, unlike, say, brain surgery."

~Robert Cormier

Ha! I have to admit, the term "Dude-- it's not brain surgery," has never come to mind in regards to writing for me. But dude, it's not brain surgery. It's SUCH a good thing to remember! Especially if you just came off intense revisions, where you made your book all pretty, and slaved over each sentence to make sure it flows just so and accomplishes heaps. (Erm-- anyone else really struggle most with remembering that a first draft stinks when you've just spent forever revising?)

So that's my new mantra, going right above my monitor. IT'S NOT BRAIN SURGERY. The first draft can be far from right, and that's just how it should be.

I was going to give us cookies. Honest. And then I saw this, and I wanted to sink my teeth into soft, gooey, crunchy, sweet, (is that sea salt?! yum!) salty goodness. So today is brought to you by Quotes and Caramel Apples.

photo credit: QuintanaRoo via photopin cc
Happy fall, everyone!

4 comments:

Susan Kane said...

Must you tease me like that, Peggy!! So very nummy. thanks for your blogs!

Robin said...

HaHa-I love this quote! thanks for sharing!

Laura S. said...

I love this quote! Thank goodness for revisions. It takes some of the pressure off knowing that no lives hang in the balance in what we do. Well, maybe a character's life does... ;)

Have a great weekend, Peggy!

Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

prerna pickett said...

there's no way I would ever get published if i had to get it right the first time! Love the quote!