Friday, July 12, 2013

Quotes and Cookies: Dream

Remember when you were a kid and summer meant more time for daydreaming? Yeah. I miss those days, too.

photo credit: Esther17 via photopin cc

Except do you know what? We're writers, which means that it's OUR JOB to daydream. Terry Brooks says so.


Dreaming opens the doors to creativity. Dreaming allows the imagination to invent something wonderful. Don’t cheat yourself out of a chance to discover how well this can work. Don’t shortcut the process. Make dream time the linchpin of your writing experience.

~Terry Brooks

I'm not going to go count how many books Terry Brooks written, but it's a lot. Twenty-three of them have been NYT bestsellers. And he has over 21 million of his books in print. Dude knows what he's talking about. So I say this means we should pretend like we're kids again and spend our summer daydreaming!

Daydreaming, and eating these. (It'll help the feeling like a kid again thing, I'm sure of it. ;))

photo credit: betsyweber via photopin cc

Cheers!

11 comments:

JeffO said...

I can do that!

Love the Lego-head cookies.

S.P. Bowers said...

Thanks, I haven't been dreaming lately and I could use a dose. I'm giving myself some homework.

Rena said...

LEGO head cookies??? Where have they been all my life?

Also, I never stopped dreaming like a kid. It did get in the way during my classes in college though...

Leigh Covington said...

Okay - I like getting permission to daydream. I'm all for it. That means we have the coolest job EVER! Right?

Natalie Aguirre said...

I haven't been dreaming much lately either. I'd like to do that and feel more like a kid again. Adult life is so busy sometimes we forget the essentials.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Excellent advice on both counts :)

Unknown said...

I daydream a lot already. But I'll sure take some of those cookies!

Jeff Hargett said...

Sounds like a plan to me!

Anonymous said...

I definitely need to get back to daydreaming. Nothing passes time at a summer job better than daydreaming. ;) Not only that, but I could use a little more life in my stories.

Anonymous said...

Never seems to be enough time some days for daydreaming.

Those Lego head cookies are cute. : )

Nicole said...

Man, I miss those days! And I still try to get in a good daydream whenever I can. ;)